Quantcast

[OpenNI-dev] MS update for Kinect?!

Lorne Covington

My Win7 update just notified me that it wants to update the "Microsoft
Kinect Camera".

I don't have the MS SDK installed, and the only Kinects I have used on
this system (the only ones I own) are Xbox Kinects.

Whasup wid dat?!

- Lorne

Re: [OpenNI-dev] MS update for Kinect?!

roberto
Very strange. I never saw this message regarding to update Kinect on my machine.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Roee Shenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this is how they're trying to kill OpenNI by pushing their non-OpenNI drivers over windows update.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Lorne Covington <[hidden email]> wrote:

My Win7 update just notified me that it wants to update the "Microsoft Kinect Camera".

I don't have the MS SDK installed, and the only Kinects I have used on this system (the only ones I own) are Xbox Kinects.

Whasup wid dat?!

- Lorne

Carlos Roberto, MSc
Software Eng. Consultant @ IBM
My Blog
My LinkedIn
follow me @ twitter
My YouTube videos

Re: [OpenNI-dev] MS update for Kinect?!

CyberQat
Will installing their drivers effect the functionality of the OpenNI drivers on windows?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Roee Shenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this is how they're trying to kill OpenNI by pushing their non-OpenNI drivers over windows update.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Lorne Covington <[hidden email]> wrote:

My Win7 update just notified me that it wants to update the "Microsoft Kinect Camera".

I don't have the MS SDK installed, and the only Kinects I have used on this system (the only ones I own) are Xbox Kinects.

Whasup wid dat?!

- Lorne

It's always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.

Re: [OpenNI-dev] MS update for Kinect?!

David Menard
Hey!
I just reformated my HDD and got the same thing. Now windows will automatically install the Kienct SDK Driver for the Kinect and use it. It's simple enough to use OpenNIs driver instead though:

1- Go in your device manager & find the Kinect device (should be listed as the MS Kinect not OpenNI device)
2- Right click on it select "Update Driver Software"
3- In the opened window, select "Browse my computer for driver software"
4- In the next screen, click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
5- Select the OpenNI driver! (the click next, etc etc...)

Tada! your done and everything works fine :)