Quantcast

[OpenNI-dev] compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

Ben

[OpenNI-dev] compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

Ben
Hi everyone,

"This package currently wraps the Linux 64-bit version of NITE. If you
are on 32-bit Linux, we recommend (for now), manually modifying the
Makefile in the nite package. We are working on making this
configurable for users."

this is a quote from http://www.ros.org/wiki/nite an I was wondering
how to do that. I tried adding -m32 to with "CFLAGS+=-m32" in  "path/
nite/build/Nite-1.3.0.17/CommonMakefile " then I tried  "rosmake ni"
but I have the following two problems:

1) When I do "roslaunch openni_camera openni_kinect.launch" I get:

"[ERROR] [1291929194.486726870]: [OpenNIDriver] Could not turn on
frame synchronization!"

but still  "rosrun openni NiViewer" works. So my first question is,
what does this error exactly mean and why do you think I get it? And
if I get it how do you think NiViewer works just fine?

2) Although I added CFLAGS+=-m32 to CommonMakefile of NITE, when I try
to do "rosrun openni Sample-NiUserTracker"  I get:

"Find user generator failed: Can't create any node of the requested
type!"

then it just doesn't do anything... I am trying to figure out how to
compile NITE for 32-bit, and any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: [OpenNI-dev] compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

Ken Conley
Hi Ben,

For the ROS integration of NITE, you should adjust nite/Makefile if
you wish to use it on 32-bit.  The package currently downloads the
64-bit binary from PrimeSense.  You should just be able to change it
to the 32-bit binary instead, along with the md5sum file.

The ROS integration currently does not compile the NITE samples,
though, for skeleton tracking, the NiUserTracker sample in the openni
package is best anyways.

cheers,
Ken

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> "This package currently wraps the Linux 64-bit version of NITE. If you
> are on 32-bit Linux, we recommend (for now), manually modifying the
> Makefile in the nite package. We are working on making this
> configurable for users."
>
> this is a quote from http://www.ros.org/wiki/nite an I was wondering
> how to do that. I tried adding -m32 to with "CFLAGS+=-m32" in  "path/
> nite/build/Nite-1.3.0.17/CommonMakefile " then I tried  "rosmake ni"
> but I have the following two problems:
>
> 1) When I do "roslaunch openni_camera openni_kinect.launch" I get:
>
> "[ERROR] [1291929194.486726870]: [OpenNIDriver] Could not turn on
> frame synchronization!"
>
> but still  "rosrun openni NiViewer" works. So my first question is,
> what does this error exactly mean and why do you think I get it? And
> if I get it how do you think NiViewer works just fine?
>
> 2) Although I added CFLAGS+=-m32 to CommonMakefile of NITE, when I try
> to do "rosrun openni Sample-NiUserTracker"  I get:
>
> "Find user generator failed: Can't create any node of the requested
> type!"
>
> then it just doesn't do anything... I am trying to figure out how to
> compile NITE for 32-bit, and any help would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Re: [OpenNI-dev] compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

rusu
Administrator
Ben,

On 12/09/2010 01:22 PM, Ben wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> "This package currently wraps the Linux 64-bit version of NITE. If you
> are on 32-bit Linux, we recommend (for now), manually modifying the
> Makefile in the nite package. We are working on making this
> configurable for users."
>
> this is a quote from http://www.ros.org/wiki/nite an I was wondering
> how to do that. I tried adding -m32 to with "CFLAGS+=-m32" in  "path/
> nite/build/Nite-1.3.0.17/CommonMakefile " then I tried  "rosmake ni"
> but I have the following two problems:
>
> 1) When I do "roslaunch openni_camera openni_kinect.launch" I get:
>
> "[ERROR] [1291929194.486726870]: [OpenNIDriver] Could not turn on
> frame synchronization!"

That's ok. It should be a warning not an error. In any case, the driver functions perfectly. I'll change this in a few
minutes.

To visualize the results, use:

  * image_view (http://www.ros.org/wiki/image_view)
  * rviz (http://www.ros.org/wiki/rviz)
  * $ rosrun pcl_tutorials pointcloud_online_viewer input:=/camera/depth/points2, after you checked out and compiled
http://www.ros.org/wiki/perception_pcl_addons and http://www.ros.org/wiki/perception_pcl

Cheers,
Radu.

Ben

[OpenNI-dev] Re: compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

Ben
Hi Ken,

thanks for the fast reply.

As you said I downloaded the x86 version, created it's md5sum file,
changed the makefile and it works.

I'm still looking forward to hearing about "[ERROR]
[1291930683.363002176]: [OpenNIDriver] Could not turn on frame
synchronization!" from people familiar with it.

Thank you very much,
Ben

Ben

[OpenNI-dev] Re: compiling NITE on 32-bit Ubuntu

Ben
Hi Radu,

I updated the stack and it works without the error message.

Thanks a lot,
Ben